St.Joseph’s Mercy Secondary School
In 1831 Catherine Mc Auley founded the Sisters of Mercy, a Religious Congregation largely involved in the care of the poor, the sick and educationally disadvantaged. In the early days her work was mostly among the people of Dublin, but in time the Congregation spread and became one of the largest Congregations of women, not alone in Ireland, but in the world.
Catherine McAuley was a woman of great vision. She was an innovator in what she did, but also in how she did things. The care of the sick was always close to her heart.
She was a woman of prayer and of deep faith. Her philosophy was
“Let us take one day only in the hands at a time, merely making a resolve for tomorrow. Thus we may hope to go on, taking short, careful steps, not great strides … Each day is a step we take towards Eternity … The final step will bring us into the presence of God”
St. Joseph’s History
Navan Convent was founded in 1853 by Mother Catherine Atkinson and three Sisters who came from Kells. In 1857 the Sisters moved to Leighsbrook House. In 1910 the present Primary School was built. In 1925 the school was registered as a Secondary School. A Government Grant in 1969 allowed for the construction of the main block of what is now St. Joseph’s Secondary School. Today the school building has been totally renovated, extended and updated. It is a modern centre of learning with an excellent reputation.
St. Joseph’s continues to be true to the spirit of Catherine Mc Auley in creating a welcoming environment and offering all students an opportunity to reach their full potential.