Navan Convent was founded in 1853 by Mother Catherine Atkinson and three Sisters who came from Kells. In 1857 the Sisters moved to Leighsbrook House. In 1910 the present Primary School was built. In 1925 the school was registered as a Secondary School. A Government Grant in 1969 allowed for the construction of the main block of what is now St Joseph’s Secondary School.
Today the school building has been totally renovated, extended and updated. It is a modern centre of learning with an excellent reputation. St Joseph’s continues to be true to the spirit of Catherine McAuley in creating a welcoming environment and offering all students an opportunity to reach their full potential.